ashleyeleigh

How to Lead a Life of Crime - Kirsten Miller The second half of this book gets four stars. The first half gets two (actually, it's more like 60-65% than a half).

The first half of this book was a slog. Not because the story dragged, but because I found the story so uninteresting. I predicted most of the plot turns, and even if I didn't, I wasn't really invested enough to care. I think this is because the main character, Flick, just did not work for me at all. I felt for him, but I didn't care about him because he lacked so much common sense.

But once that second half hit and Joi comes back into the story, things got interesting. (I feel like even the publisher knows this because this is spoiled in the book blurb.) Not only did the pace of the plot pick up, she called out Flick on all the things that bothered me about him as a character.

In the end, I appreciate this book for being different, but it just didn't quite work for me. Even the more enjoyable second half had some plot turns that I didn't care for. And the book was far too long on top of everything else.