ashleyeleigh

Once a Witch - Carolyn MacCullough When I read the blurb for this book, I thought I'd be in for a story about a young woman discovering she isn't as powerless as she originally thought. Nothing new, but when done well there's nothing wrong with that kind of story. But this story does go wrong by being all set up and no execution. This book actually made me angry because nothing, and I mean nothing, that is set up is resolved in any kind of satisfying manner. For example, there is a huge conflict set up between the main character, Tamsin, and her family when she finds out they've been lying to her for her entire life. She thought for her whole life she didn't have any powers, or Talent as it's called in this book, and that's not true. And this was an involved lie. Several family members knew, and they roped in other clueless family members too. And why did they do this? I have no idea. I kept waiting for some sort of resolution, but there was none. There was a huge fight about it in the middle of the book and that was it. No one explained themselves and nothing was resolved. This also affects the other storyline involving the villain because at one point Tamsin's sister Rowena (who was basically the enforcer of the cover up about Tamsin's talent) is kidnapped by the villain. But until that point all I knew about Rowena is that she was very dismissive of her sister. And she acted this way knowing how powerful Tamsin really was. So I really didn't care if she lived or died. On the bright side the villain has very little time on the page. This of course means that entire part of the plot is dished out in info dumps or not really explained well at all, but who cares. I certainly didn't. Really by the end of this book I only really cared about Tamsin. She's a well developed and sympathetic character. She did some stupid things that made me roll my eyes and I got frustrated with her. But I liked her. And even she got on my nerves because she never really takes her family to task for being so needlessly cruel to her at the end of the book.

So in the end this book takes a well worn story and literally does nothing with it. Womp, womp.